View Single Post
Old Thu, August 6th, 2009, 06:53 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

And, I'll add that controllers like the Prodogy and the Primus ARE proportional controllers that rely on a "pendulum" in the controller to sense deceleration. The harder you brake, the more the pendulum swings, which in turn supplies more voltage to the electric brakes on the trailer. There's no delay, and yes, both these controllers can be set to apply more braking than you are doing, so you can feel the trailer pulling back on you. I kind of like a "neutral" feel myself, and I have an anti-sway hitch.

There was no possibility of mis-wiring in my case. My truck already had the brake wiring installed as part of the factory tow option (the connector was just to the right of the OBDII port) and the Ford harness I bought with the Primus was an "adapter" that simply plugged into it. I think I may have had to add a fuse though - but I seem to recall that it was supplied with the controller or harness.

Be careful you don't route your brake controller line parallel to the Gryphon's OBDII line. It could cause interference in the Gryphon's display. (Lars brought this up a while back).

Unless you have a trailer with hydraulic brakes, you don't need a controller that has this feature.

- Jack