View Single Post
Old Thu, May 10th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Whopper

RedRocks is on a distinguished road

Well, I just got off the phone with Bill - Great Guy! If you can't get through the first (or 2,3,4,5 ....) times, keep trying - it will be worth it!

So, from the information I got from Bill, here are some of the answers to the above questions.

Running higher octane than the vehicle is designed for (w/o a custom tune) will not help performance & may actually hinder performance. The owner's manual calls for 87 octane, but at my higher altitude, atmospheric pressure, etc, 87 was actually killing performance.

According to Bill, a Custom 87 Performance tune and a Custom 87 Tow tune is really all I need for my driving habits & altitude. He went on to say that I can still probably run 85 octane a lot of the time because of the altitude. I will switch to 87 octane when we are getting ready for a camping trip.

I asked about running 85 octane at lower elevations? He said you can't even get 85 below a certain elevation! I now remember our last trip to Mesquite NV, elevation ~1,000', 87 was the lowest I could find! I just never made the connection, but everything he said started to make sense. So when traveling to lower elevations empty or loaded I will be okay.

I just placed my order for the Gryphon with the two custom tunes I mentioned & kept the Stock 93 Performance.

Thanks again, Bill!

~Frank