View Single Post
Old Fri, January 23rd, 2009, 09:30 PM
Whopper

lumpyf150 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
We've seen some benefit to going with a Cat-Back exhaust and the popular choice has been Magnaflow SIDO setups. This setup will usually benefit a little in low and mid RPMs, not to mention it sounds really nice. For some odd reason, Flowmaster mufflers just don't seem to work well in this configuration and have a real "tinny" sound instead of the nice, deep rumble.

As for duals, the thing we've found with full dual exhaust is that it tends to hurt low RPM performance a bit but makes up for it at higher RPMs, especially with high flow cats. However, unless you're really looking for top end performance, we generally recommend avoiding this setup. We've had more than a few customers say that they've actually gone back to the SIDO setup because they didn't like the way the low RPM power felt.

I look at an exhaust change more as a way to change the tone of the exhaust and less as an overall performance modification. There are certainly some gains to be had in each configuration, you just need to decide beforehand what you're looking to achieve with your vehicle.
Thanks, Bill. I'm just looking to get a little more fun and driveability (and maybe a little better MPG) out of my truck vs. blowing people's doors off or ear-drums out. Great "every day" advice!