Thread: Exaust Smell?
View Single Post
Old Mon, April 27th, 2009, 05:24 PM
American Muscle

dplummer87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
This "burning hotter" is kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing. At least in gassers, hotter burning causes nitrogen, which is normally pretty inert, to combine with oxygen to form nitrogen dioxide, a toxic pollutant. I wonder if it does the same in diesels.

The EGR system in gassers was developed to cool the combustion process slightly to reduce formation of this gas. (Of course it also cuts power).

Oh, your earlier question Lars - I can't imagine why a diesel would not produce some sulfur dioxide if sulfur was present in the fuel.

- Jack
But why are the new diesels not able to run (at least not supposed to) run on the older style diesel? I ask because I live in El Paso TX which is a bridge away from juarez mexico. Anyway, last summer when diesel was like 4 bucks, many people were going to Juarez to fill up their trucks because diesel was only 2.19, and when you are filling a 100 gallons (nearly %50 cheaper) thats a lot of money. However, only guys with older trucks were doing this...we couldnt do this in our 06/07 whatever it is cummings...it really screwed up the newer trucks...whats up with that? What was so different.