Thread: External tank
View Single Post
Old Sun, January 10th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

hayjayhorses is on a distinguished road
Default axilary fuel tank

I have 90 gallon auxiliary fuel tanks on most of my trucks what I do for simplicity on my ’94s I have 38 gallon rear tank (Bronco style) and I take the filler neck and weld in a 3/8” steel pipe nipple a fuel inches from the top or the fuel cap so I can see if fuel is flowing. The using 3/8” steel hardware and a high quality ball valve installed in the auxiliary fuel tank drain, then I ran 3/8’ low pressure hydraulic line ( I use it for all fuel lines, good stuff).

It sucks when you walk to your truck the next morning and find a big puddle of $5 diesel fuel on the ground, because you forgot to shut the fuel valve off. To avoid over filling I installed an electric shut off solenoid (normally closed) then I wired the solenoid to a toggle switch that is hooked into a “key on” fuse so fuel transfer can only happen when the key is on.

On my ’00 F550 and ’99 F450 I plumed the fuel fill line into the Ό” auxiliary fuel port on the factory 40 gallon after axel tank. I think this is and option on the cab and chassie trucks to run a diesel generator, compressor, welder, ect..