Thread: Lost
View Single Post
Old Wed, June 23rd, 2010, 01:17 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

To further expand on Osprey's thought, the Cam Phasers are notorious for failures on these engines. It's not skipping a tooth, per se, but it sure feels like it.

Two things can help identify this issue:

1) Startup clatter - When starting the engine, the cam phasers will clatter loudly and it takes time for the oil pressure to build. Even after running, the phasers will still clatter a noticeably at idle.

2) Bearing "dust" in the oil - After running for a few minutes, pull the dipstick and check for aluminum or bronze "dust" or "glitter" in the oil on the dipstick. This is especially noticeable if the oil has 2000+ miles on it. Any glitter on the stick is a serious problem.

As I understand it, the camshafts are the first components to receive oil and any problem with the cam phasers causes poor lubrication to downstream components. If the phasers go out, the crank and rod bearings are not going to be too far behind.

I really am not trying to scare you with this information and it's quite possible something as simple as a bad O2 sensor or something similar that's causing your drivability issues, but it's definitely worth taking a look just in case.

I hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!