Thread: Gauge selection
View Single Post
Old Mon, January 5th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Double Whopper

MercedesTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
It is sad.

but I'd bet it doesn't budge until the pressure hits ZERO. Useless in my opinion.

Maybe one day the manufacturers will get it right.
Sad being an understatement !

Betcha your right on this one. Mercedes now has sensors for oil condition. It will allow longer intervals between oil changes, if the oil is in good condition. Checks viscosity (sp?) metal and other chemical contamination, all while your driving down the road. Since they have installed these types of sensors, they have done away with dipsticks. Yup, can't check your damn oil manually. You can click through the "on dash" menu in your instrument cluster. It lights up all pretty, and tells you oil levels and blah blah blah.

They now need to develope a sensor for this sensor, to tell when it has gone bad, and can no longer detect bad oil.

Didn't they already develope this ? Isn't it called a "dipstick" ? Re-inventing the wheel at its finest !

This would be why your last line gave me a chuckle ! I wouldn't be holding my breath. We will rely on guys like you, and the aftermarket in general, to help us get what we want. Obviously, our voice isn't loud enough anywhere else.