Thread: Spark advance?
View Single Post
Old Tue, September 18th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsbandman View Post
Heh. Found that out REALLY quick when I tried. that's why I'm playing around with the trans only tune instead I wish we could know the exact specs on Bill's tunes, but that would be bad for PHP's business. I know my truck will never get the mpg of my wife's minivan, but I want to get all I can. The Gryphon was designed as a performance tool, not an economy tool, I get that. But......if Bill were to write a "max mileage" tune I'd definitely be interested.
I guess you can only do so much with a 5000K-plus vehicle pushed by a 5.4l V8. I REALLY like my truck....everywhere but the gas station.

BTW-Is you Tow tune one of Bill's, or stock?
He isn't only adjusting ignition timing. Some of the gains also come from cam timing adjustments. He also has full access to fuel strategies and things I can't even imagine, especially part throttle where any gain would be found. Something you do not have access to.

He used to have mileage tunes and people hated it. It was weak in performance and people had this strange idea that they could load that tune up and hot rod around and it would give them better mileage. I'd say close to 70% of mileage gains are solely on the driver. Other things like maintenance and strategic modifications bring up the last 30%. Buy a vacuum gauge. It gives you real time manifold pressure (vacuum). More vacuum means less air, less fuel and better mileage. It trains you how to drive.

My tune was a custom by Cody. I had asked him to do a bunch of crazy things because it was a special application tune and, although it took a few tweaks, he pulled it off. It is only giving me 13-14 around town and up to 18 highway so nothing super special. Just consider that it will cost you 20-30 cents per mile to drive the truck. Want to cut down on cost? Streamline errands to minimize mileage.

Also, one tank is not a reliable test. If I showed you my mileage you'd see numbers ranging from 10 to 17.9.