View Single Post
Old Wed, November 18th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Whopper

PHS79 is on a distinguished road
Default A couple Gryphon questions, what tunes and octane?

I currently have a Edge Evo that I am looking at upgrading to a Gryphon, but I have a couple questions about the Gryphon tunes, what octanes I should be looking at and also if it is even worth it for me to upgrade.

I have a 04 F150 FX4, supercab, it has the 5.4L running a Airaid Jr. intake and 3" si/so exhaust off the factory Y pipe into a IMCO Pro series muffler, 3.73 gears, and 325/60/18 tires on 18X9 wheels. I use the truck for 70% family mover, 30% towing towing 3000lbs to 8000 lbs.

So now that you have a basic description of my truck and its uses, here are the questions

1.Since my truck is not highly modified, would it be worth it for me to get custom tunes? Would I see that big of difference?

2.Is there a "mileage" tune? I have found a gas station that offers 91 oct that is 100% gas, no ethanol added. By just running the 91 oct and lvl 2 on my Edge I have gotten my mileage up to the 16.5 range. It is possible to go higher with custom tunes?

3.With my Edge drive ability got much better, but it still seems to me that the truck upshifts too early especially when towing. Can custom tunes help with this, and let the engine rev more before shifting?

4.Since I do have the option of 91 octane that is 100% gas vs 87 and 89 octanes which have 10% ethanol, does this make any difference with the tunes and how they can be used?

Paul