Thread: New Aquarium
View Single Post
Old Tue, February 28th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Since my last post the aquarium has seen some major changes.

Had to change the filtration system again. The one I had built worked great until I messed up a seal while cleaning the impeller shaft. During the night water leaked in and shorted out the motor. So Sunday morning I was sitting outside petsmart waiting for them to open while all my fish were glued to an aerator. Luckily there was a sale going on for the Tetra Whisper EX70, a 50-70 gallon aquarium filter that is probably the quietest I've ever had.

I've also replaced all the gravel with sand, a much nicer looking substrate that works better for plants and cleaning.

I also decided it was warm enough to throw my oscar and my two plecos into the tank. Since the lows in the forecast are still around 49 at night I have the built in heater on a photosensor. That way it'll come on automatically at night or I can rotate the dial and keep it on all the time.

I also added some new critters. I added about 20 snails, 6 of which are doing what they are supposed to. The others are having an identity crisis and just burrowed into the sand like the freshwater clams did. I also added an orange throated darter today that is fun to watch. Some of the fish are attracted to the bright color and follow it around.

I finally got this fish to come out for a picture. The cichlid food has definitely been improving the color. The wall of algae is also supposed to be there. It is easy food for the plecos I threw in today.