Thread: Engine temps.
View Single Post
Old Thu, June 25th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Baconator

BlackSTX is on a distinguished road

Jack, I have to agree, the ECT gauges are very inefficient. They are not really a true gauge anymore at all, merely a visual toy that amounts to an equivalent of an idiot light. As one of the techs had commented, as long as it remains in a specified operating range, it usually just reads at one set position on the gauge. I suspect this was mostly done since many people today are highly incompetent when it comes to mechanical items and would be returning to the dealership every other day concerned about what the gauges were reading.

Jaguar went to this type of gauge too. They even updated they old gauge in some models to this newer type of system. If you needed to replace your sending unit, the "new" updated part now came as a kit that included a small harness which contained a resistor which then made the old gauge work more like the gauges in newer vehicles.

Unfortunately, I'm think they use a similar type of gauge for oil pressure readings too. I recall how my old Pontiac Sunbird had real gauges that you could see any and all fluctuations in pressure, voltage, and temperature, no matter how small they might be.

Current mods: AEM Bruteforce CAI, Magnaflow SI/DO, Gryphon-87 & 93 tunes, Harley head lamps, tinted windows, lower grille filler, and FX2 lower valance.