View Single Post
Old Mon, September 12th, 2011, 01:28 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCNC View Post
My premise (until your last post) was that:

- Given that engines run on fuel and air, there must be an optimal fuel/air ratio range. I assume that diesels have a broader range than gas but that if there is too much air and not enough fuel then the engine is running too lean and too rich if it is vice-versa. A diesel engine technically doesn't run lean as the power and speed of the engine are completely controlled by the amount of fuel injected. That's it. Idle A/F ratio can be anywhere between 65-80:1 and maximum power is usually between 16-18:1. Anything more than that is just smoke and heat. Too lean to fire will result in white smoke.

- The MAP Sensor measures absolute mainifold pressure so it would be a likely place for a programmer to get their information to maintain the ratio with varying burdens on the engine. If a programmer wanted to attempt to stay in the ratio range through extended accels, extended towing or other engine loads then they would want a sensor (or sensors) that would provide them with the information they need throughout a targeted RPM range. The PCM doesn't care about rich or lean. It doesn't know what the air/fuel ratio is, nor does it care. Basically, if the desired engine speed is 2000 RPM, there will be enough fuel injected to maintain that RPM based on load. That's it.

-If a provided sensor is unable to do this then I would think that it could be improved or "upgraded". No need as explained above.

However, the stock injectors are typically maxed out at 13 psi, that would help explain why accurate higher boost numbers aren't all that critical and that the fueling strategy becomes pretty trivial at boosts exceeding this number. I'm sure you're still in a pretty optimal fuel ratio range well beyond that number too which really would take care of probably 90% of all typical driving. Is there a boost number that comes to mind that is beginning to be too much air and not enough fuel? I wouldn't say that the stock injectors are "maxed out" at 13 PSI, but any pressure reading above 13 PSI will not cause the PCM to command any more fuel based on boost.

What psi's are bigger injectors good for (just rough estimates) like stage I, stage II injectors? It depends on the truck. Every truck will react differently to different injectors. At the point of installing different injectors, tuning will be critical to getting the most from the engine.I know that in gas engines, that rich/lean fuel mixes will act to lower/raise EGT's. Is the same true for diesel engines? Why do the exhaust gas temperatures go up when making more power in a diesel? i.e. when the engine is running under-fueled that the egt's go up? Don't apply gas-engine logic to a diesel. Lean mixtures in a gasoline vehicle are volatile and hot (up until the cylinder starts misfiring due to being too lean). Rich mixtures in a gasoline engine usually run cooler at the expense of being terribly inefficient. Diesels on the other hand are completely opposite.I've ridden in small planes where the pilots have individual control of the fuel mix to each individual engine cylinder and have a pyrometer on every exhaust port and while in steady flight will adjust the ratios to each cylinder until they have EGTs the same on all exhaust ports. Of course this is more critical because of altitude.

At what point in your opinion would it make sense to replace a stock turbo (other than because it was needing replaced because it was damaged)? Seems to me that the stock turbo would cover the needs of a lightly modified truck pretty well. I can't make the call on what point the stocker should be replaced. It's a judgment call on the driver. I plan on running my stock turbocharger until it blows and right now it's supporting 400 HP just fine. I'll be running hybrids on it one of these days. I like the stock turbo right now, but it does cause a good bit of restriction on the top end. I have run aftermarket turbochargers and components, but nothing more than drop-in replacements. I can say with absolute certainty that since my tastes are way different than everyone else, that sometimes "upgraded" turbochargers become HUGE "downgrades".

Don't think too hard about this. It's FUEL over TIME. More fuel equals more heat and more push on the top of the piston. Nothing more.