View Single Post
Old Thu, December 11th, 2008, 09:36 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87ttopstang View Post
Before I install my gryphon today, as it arrived yesterday , I thought I'd ask if there are any problems loading the new tunes in cold weather. I do not see why there would be, but I have read on another forum that there might be issues.

When I say cold, I mean -16 degrees here in Canada or 3 degrees in the US.

I'll be patiently waiting. HA HA
You've read the same forums that I've read. I suspect the problem is due to low battery voltage, rather than any difficulty caused by the unit itself or the PCM being cold. Usually, electronic devices work better when they're cold, although LCD screens can malfunction then. And, we all know that cold weather kills a battery's output.

I think what I'd do in your position is hook a battery charger up on a low charge setting, say 2 amps if you have one that can deliver that kind of charge (I do). Let it sit like that for about 30 minutes to bring the battery up to a good charge state and then go ahead and try to install the Gryphon and program the PCM. I'd leave the charger connected the whole time.

Of course, Bill should really be answering this, since he knows the unit best, but I don't see how what I suggest would hurt anything. Because my truck sits for long periods (weeks) in my garage, I keep it connected to a battery tender. I've programmed the PCM without disconnecting the battery tender.

Failing the charger route, just drive the truck until it warms up completely. Then, shut it down and immediately try to install and program the PCM. Make sure all accessories in the truck are turned off first, especially your DRL's and the heater blower. (The same advice for accessories applies to doing it on a charger too).

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer