View Single Post
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 06:21 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04FX4 View Post
I have noticed when driving real slow under 30 k my truck will hunt. It goes from 800rpm -1300rpm constantly and will not stop unless I let up on the gas pedal. Any thoughts? I also was wondering how much more HP a 2006 F150 has then my 04. The reason I ask is I know a guy who has the same truck as mine 2 years newer and no mods, and we have tried to see who's truck is faster. We start off the line about the same and eventually he pulls away from me, I would have thought I would have had the upper hand. He is running 87 fuel no nothing just stock. My truck has only 35000k his 58000 both are FX4 Screw same engine same everything, even same color,I cant figure this out.
The "hunting" problem sounds like something Bill might be able to fix. I've never experienced it in my 2005. It kind of sounds like a TC lock/unlock problem.

I imagine there were a FEW changes between 2004 and 2006 that might account for better performance from the later vehicle. Regardless, I bet if you put two identical trucks from the same year together and raced them, I think one of them(the same one) would always win. Manufacturing simply cannot produce true "clones". One is always going to be slightly better (or worse) than the other.

Oops! Chris - you snuck in on me and brought up a point I'd totally ignored! 04FX4's truck is TUNED! Yuk! Now the question is, what is the tune? It may not be set up for the race conditions described. And, yes, I would not have thought the '06s were improved that much over the 04's. But maybe.... 04FX4, have you looked at the HP Torque specs on these beasts from the two model years?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer

Last edited by Jackpine; Wed, January 28th, 2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Chris woke me up!