View Single Post
Old Tue, May 4th, 2010, 05:32 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

MileHigh - It's possible you may NEVER get what you want here. The firmness settings are really for the WOT shifts. Cranking up the firmness causes the clutch bands to reingage more quickly at the end of the shift, resulting in less slippage.

You really shouldn't notice a part throttle shift much at all, other than to hear a change in engine speed and feel possibly a slight "lurch".

I think you should go the other way on firmness in the 1-2 upshift, possibly into negative territory, if it feels too harsh at WOT. If you like the way the others feel, leave them alone.

I doubt reducing the 1-2 upshift firmness is going to be that noticeable at part throttle, but at WOT, it should feel "tamer".

You really don't want a hard "lurch" during a shift anyway, because that lurch is telling you you're putting stress on the driveline. At the same time, you don't want a SLOWWW reduction in RPM as the bands begin to "grip", because that wears them out. It's a bit of a balancing act.

In driving a manual shift vehicle, I feel I've done it properly if the clutch is released quickly and the accelerator is depressed quickly at the same time so that I don't really feel it and, I've done all this so fast (gotten the shift lever out of the lower gear and into the next gear) that the engine RPM has only dropped to the new gear speed. That's the feeling I'd really like to have with an automatic.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer