View Single Post
Old Sat, March 27th, 2010, 10:17 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Yes, you can easily change the "resolution" of the APP for shift points. I've spent many hours playing with different setups but in all actuality, it wasn't worth it. I couldn't really make heads or tails of any discernable difference since I am human and holding the accelerator pedal at the same exact spot every time for testing isn't possible. Oh, and 0 counts would be an open circuit. The voltage present on the APP is roughly half a volt (just slightly less on most trucks) which equates to just about 100 A/D counts.

The reason I changed the values as I did was because if I set the upshift speed to 52 (as I have in this case) without lowering the minimum APP value, I would STILL get a 45 MPH upshift. There is not enough leeway in the APP table to make up for less than 100 A/D counts. The values in this function are VERY different for each calibration I have made because of the accelerator pedal feel. The more "responsive" the pedal is, the more APP input it takes to shift later (if that makes sense). My super-stupid 30K heavy towing program for the automatics uses a strategy that causes upshifts at 2700 RPM when loaded. If there is any decent amount of accelerator pedal input, the engine WILL shift at 2700 RPM every time (except 3-4 which will hold 3rd gear until the accelerator pedal is lifted a little bit). The WOT Shift parameter is a little bit of a misnomer ( ) . I also alleviated the 4-3 downshift at any speed above 67 MPH since stock settings allow a 4-3 downshift at frickin' 74 MPH which is stupid. Interestingly enough, the ONLY way I could cause this to happen was with the 4-3 downshift (cruise) function. The standard 4-3 downshift function was useless in "fixing" that problem.

Just some more tricks.......

Here's a couple questions for Bill if he ever has time to respond :

Why do the shift functions not correlate to actual speeds. If the revs/mile and gear ratio are correct, then why do the speeds give a representation, but not an actual result?

Why does the anticipated shifting (even if the max. and min. speeds are altered) not seem to do anything regardless if the switch is on or off? This kind of goes along with me trying to get ACTUAL shift speeds out of the shift functions.