Thread: Mod Questions
View Single Post
Old Tue, September 7th, 2010, 08:38 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashron64 View Post
Hello All,
I am considering purchasing some new mods here in the next few weeks and I wanted to see if any of you have had any experience with them. I just wanted to know if you think that they are worth it. I am considering a set of Pulstar spark plugs. They would run about $110 for the set of 8. I have heard a few good things about them but not really enough to make a decision. I am also considering a set of BBK underdrive pulleys. Once again, I have heard some good things but not enough to decide if I want to get them or not. They would run me about $170. I havn't really shopped around very much on either of these so I could quite possibly find them cheaper. I have also looked at (but have done very little research on) a set of electronic fans to replace the belt driven fan from the factory. If anyone has had any experience with any of these please let me know what your opinion is. Thanks for the input!

2002 F150 supercab. 4.6L V8 with S&B COA, Helix Power Tower throttle body spacer, Flowmaster Force II cat back exhaust, and edge evo programmer.
I can only give you an opinion on plugs - stay with Motorcraft! Virtually everyone who has tried another brand has later said they regretted it. Really, if Motorcraft plugs can last for 70-75K (I think they want to change them at this point now to minimize the breakage problem), they're the only thing I'd consider using.

Pulleys and E-fans can be a GOOD mod. But, if the fan motors or bearings aren't reliable, they're no good. And I think the air moving capacity of some of the fans are poor. Pulleys probably aren't likely to fail as long as they're "one piece" ones that can't "flex" under the strain of the belt. However, I don't have any good data on these. 88Racing, one of our stellar Moderators on this forum has installed pulleys on his truck, so he has some valid opinions. I think he got his from Troyer. I think there are a few who have installed E-fans too. Someone will give you opinions on those soon, I bet.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer