Thread: transmission ?
View Single Post
Old Tue, November 15th, 2011, 08:45 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

As you can see, I have an 05 SCrew, and I monitor the transmission temp since I frequently tow.

I've found it can be influenced strongly by the ambient air temperature, as well as the load on the powertrain. In general, cruising on the interstate, I see between 150-170 on the TFT. If the outside temperature is above 100, the TFT tends to settle near 170. If I'm climbing a long, 12 mile 7% uphill grade, the TFT can get into the 190s rather quickly during the summer months.

When I've been towing and climbing the long, steep grades in the summer, I've seen the temp go above 220. And, while towing, the average is in the 170s usually.

You WILL NOT hurt your transmission by using any of the tunes. Personally, I'd recommend you try the Level 2 tow tune as a daily driver. When I did that (before I got custom tunes), my fuel economy improved.

There ARE ways you could hurt your transmission though. If you were to change the shift firmness a huge amount (either positive or negative) and then accelerate at WOT all the time, that would not be good. Raising the WOT shift points above 5400 is also not a good idea since the Torque Converter starts to balloon there. Actually, treating your truck like a drag racer whether it's tuned or not is going to be bad for its health.

Cross-country driving is actually very kind to the transmission, since it minimizes transmission "activity".

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer