Thread: Towing
View Single Post
Old Tue, February 23rd, 2010, 10:40 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman View Post
I'm interested in buying a Gryphon for towing my travel trailer with a 2006 F150 5.4L with tow package. The trailer is approx 6000lbs with passenger and cargo. I tow through the Canadian Rockie Mountains. Will the Gryphon give me that extra power and torque needed through the mountain passes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Talisman, we have a towing forum, and I'm going to move your thread there.

I tow, and pull my somewhat lighter trailer (about 3600#) over the Colorado Rockies. The Gryphon will NOT work miracles! But it WILL give you some added torque and horsepower and it should improve your gas mileage some (at least it did all of this for me). The tow tune is specifically beefed up in the lower speed ranges to help you get the weight moving and the shifts will be much "crisper".

I also really appreciate being able to monitor the Transmission Fluid and Cylinder Head Temperatures while towing and, since my trailer has two batteries and a refrigerator, I like being able to see a digital readout of the battery voltage too. I also monitor the "Commanded Gear" readout, because I like to try to minimize "activity" in the transmission.

I hope my answer helps. I think it's important for people to have a realistic expectation of any programmer's capabilities.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer