View Single Post
Old Thu, January 8th, 2009, 01:37 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
Well that makes it easy...I don't have it so lucky here in North Carolina. It's a fairly extensive check that includes a sniffer and hooking you up to a diagnostic computer. That's another reason I'm a little worried about having a tune in place when I get the inspection, the sniffer could be bypassed by a more efficent tune for sure, but what does that computer tell them?
Cajun, everything I've read in the tuners section of the f150 forums says DO NOT deprogram your vehicle prior to a diagnostic computer check. If you do, it will set a code that causes the vehicle to fail unless it has been driven long enough to "unset" the code (about 30 miles I believe). Those that have had the diagnostic test and have left their tunes in place have all passed without any difficulty.

I kind of think all the tester does is look for malfunctioning items like O2 sensors, EGR valves, and so on. One thing though: I believe if you run up against the speed limiter, it sets a code, and I don't know when/or if that code goes away by itself. For that reason, I adjusted my max speed up to 110mph, even though I don't intend to get there.

And, remember you can use your Gryphon to check for codes before you take your truck in to be tested. It can clear these codes too if the cause of them has been eliminated.

I intend to leave my tune in place when my truck is inspected (which won't happen for another year in Tucson).

- Jack