View Single Post
Old Tue, July 5th, 2011, 08:37 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeereGeff View Post
I was thinking in the 5200 - 5300 range, but wanted to be sure since I still have warranty remaining on my truck. I checked the stock setting and it did say 42xx on it, which I was sure was too low.

Anybody else with ideas on the stock setting?
I really don't know what Ford set it to, and I don't blame you for trying to get a better number on this (after all, who am I? Just a Mod on this forum that thinks he knows where the rev limit should be on pre 09 trucks.) But, since the 6th gear ratio in 09+ trucks is no different than the 4th gear ratio in earlier trucks, there's no way 4200 would work at all. AND, I'm certain this is not where Ford put it. I think that's where Edge put it (in a programming error)?

Bill or Cody would probably be your best source for the REAL appropriate limit, but I know from past posts from Bill that he's driven the engines to 6000, with no ill effects. This actually sounds a bit extreme to me. The limit I gave you was related to the Torque Converter on the older models. It starts to balloon at 5400. I think that region is a pretty safe setting, and I personally, would not go higher.

Like you though, I'm happy to hear opinions from others. I simply ask that you justify your numbers with SOME reason, ideally, engineering data. My 5400 figure is really quite old and is from a post from Mike Troyer at Troyer Performance - it may well be no longer valid for newer drivetrains.

- Jack