View Single Post
Old Fri, March 26th, 2010, 09:12 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

It's been a while since I've given out any helpful information when it comes to tuning your own 7.3L so I figured I would describe a trick with the transmission operation.

About 7 months back I started playing with a lot of the parameters. One of the really useful things I came across works really well with a daily driving tune. Something that always bothered me about the shifting with some of the Super Duty trucks was the strategy dealing with the 2-3 shift and the torque converter clutch operation.

Under moderate acceleration (35-60%) the PCM would command a 2-3 shift at 35-40 MPH and the torque converter clutch would be applied as soon as the upshift occured. This usually resulted in a "double bump" kind of feeling and an unacceptable (to me) loss of RPM. There is a set of parameters that deal with a time delay between an upshift and the accompanying apply of the torque converter clutch. By simply changing the time between the 2-3 upshift and the torque conveter clutch apply from "0" to a value between "3" and "5" (salt to taste), the annoying shift and resultant TCC apply symptom can be alleviated. There is a catch, however, that if the TCC is already applied in 2nd gear (if you're above the APP/MPH threshold for an applied TCC), the torque converter will remain in a locked state after the shift to 3rd gear. Please see the last paragraph for another tip that works REALLY WELL with this modification.

This parameter also comes in really handy in racing programs when the effort doesn't want to be taken to fine tune the 2nd gear TCC apply speed. Leave the apply speed low but give yourself 2 seconds between the 1-2 shift and the 2nd gear TCC apply. This will keep the TCC from applying immediately after the 1-2 shift and snuffing out the turbocharger.

The first thing I did when I started tuning nearly 2 years ago (in late April) was changing the ridiculously early 3-4 upshift. If you change the upshift speed to a minimum of XX MPH and the APP to reflect a bit more resolution at low pedal positions, then you can command an upshift at any speed you desire. This setup works PERFECT (personal preference of course) with the delayed TCC apply mentioned above. Each shift is distinct. 1-2 at 12-15 MPH, 2-3 at 30-35 MPH, 3rd gear TCC apply at 42-45 MPH, and the 3-4 occurs at 55-65 MPH.

Here's an example of my PMT1 DD tune 3-4 shift schedule:

More to come soon!