View Single Post
Old Tue, January 27th, 2009, 02:49 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Looks nice with the bellows on there. Give the aesthetics of it, I'd doubt the dealer would even spot it except for the rubber grommet missing.

I do have one question (or favor) to ask... When you have time, could you pull the tube out and trace a pattern of the sanded end on a sheet of paper and scan it or fax it over? We'd like to be able to post it on the forums so folks can have a reasonable template to go by if they should decide to try and do it themselves.

For what it's worth, we might even be able to see if we can get them molded. I've got a guy that does carbon fiber molding that might be able to make them relatively inexpensively.

Once again, great job.
I think the carbon fiber molded idea is a great one! I'll be happy to pull, trace and fax the cross-section, but it probably would not fit into the fender wall hole without grinding off the small "lip" in the opening as I did. I measured the original oval in the fender at 3 1/8 x 3 1/2, using a pair of dividers, since I don't have any inside calipers. By grinding the opening, I was able to make the short diameter about 3 1/4". I was worried that sanding down the tube to 3 1/8 across would make it too weak.

What we really need is a tracing of the inside of the fender hole (unmodified). But, I don't see how one could get anything behind it to trace on.

- Jack