Thread: Metric beta?
View Single Post
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 05:50 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzo333 View Post
Thanks Jack, I've got bigger fish to fry right now. I see my battery is low (reading 11.6 volts when it should be 12.5 at least) now I'm afraid to do any flashing till I get the voltage up. Its a 4 year old Interstate so I think it might just need a charge (i hope cuz a charger will cost me half the price of a new battery!!) its finally above freezing here so its not the cold. Off to the auto parts store.
Yes - definitely do not try to reprogram with a low battery. And, although I suspect you've read this in another post here, don't try to do it with the PCM and/or the Gryphon "cold-soaked". (I'm repeating this advice here for anyone else that reads this). A good technique is to drive the vehicle until everything is all nice and warm and bring the Gryphon from a nice warm house when you're ready.

If your battery is 4 years old, I'd be thinking about replacing it. Do you see any evidence of corrosion around the negative terminal or gassing (wetness on the top of the battery)? If so, I would not trust it at all.

Over on the f150 engine forums, I've constantly talked about the Costco "house" battery. It has a 100 month warranty, free replacement for the first 3 years and costs less than $70. They exchange them with NO hassle! So, if you have a Costco nearby and are a member....

- Jack