View Single Post
Old Sun, February 26th, 2012, 09:19 PM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
The door lock actuators use a thermal resistor circuit breaker. It's a safety feature to keep kids/dogs/cargo from burning the truck to the ground if the door lock switch is depressed too long. As the temperature of the circuit breaker goes up, so does the resistance. As resistance goes up, the current though the circuit goes down thus minimizing heat created in the circuit in the event of a short or a switch depressed for an excessive amount of time.

Over time, these resistive circuit breakers "wear out" electrically and limit current to the actuator motor windings even under normal (cool) situations. Yes, it is possible to disassemble the actuators and provide a parallel shunt across the circuit breaker but it's not adviseable due to safety reasons.

Unfortunately the only way I know of doing it properly is to replace the entire actuator in each door (which if you have a crewcab truck will cost you plenty).
Thanks for the reply Cody. Is this something that would happen to all 4 doors at once? After I replaced the fuse, I was able to get the locks to attempt to actuate. But they all seemed like they wasn't getting enough juice, and each click of the button the juice seemed to decrease a little bit at a time...to all of the door locks.

I'm going to attempt to install a security system and it would be nice to have the door locks operating. Otherwise I wouldn't be worrying about it.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx