View Single Post
Old Tue, January 27th, 2009, 01:50 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Now all we need to do is talk Jack into making about 2 dozen of those pipes and we'll start selling them as the "J&J Snorkel Kit" so nobody has to make their own.

Jack, is there a reason you couldn't use the original flex bellows? That would save a couple bucks not having to by the 3" coupler hose.
As a matter of fact -

One of the things about me is that I'm rarely satisfied with a first attempt.

This morning I discovered that the 3" ABS pipe actually fits rather snugly inside the bellows of the original intake. So, I pulled my intake out of the truck again and reinstalled the bellows on the end of the tube running into the air cleaner box. Then, I slipped my new snorkel into the bellows and reinstalled it back into the truck.

Now the new intake looks like this:

The bellows is a little more flexible, and the intake fits into the fender wall better now. I used a hose clamp (tightened snugly, but not really too tight) to provide more stability, but I'm not even sure that it's needed. I didn't even bother to cut the pipe shorter, so the only change is the bellows instead of the coupler.

Making this change allowed me to wipe off the fender wall so it doesn't look so hideous. (But I could have done a better job - jbrew, if you see this, don't barf).

So, the total cost can be reduced to one hose clamp and one length of ABS tubing. (Anyone want to buy a slightly used coupler with one missing hose clamp)?

No, I'm not going into the tube making business! That part took about 3 hours of careful sanding, fitting, resanding, etc.

- Jack