View Single Post
Old Mon, September 12th, 2011, 12:54 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieWag View Post
I know this is a "Power Hungry" forum, but... I just wish to deal with adults here, and not someone who wants me to drive a different kind of vehicle. I own two f150's. Because they 'fit' me.

Does anyone have any good information on bed covers, air dams, wheel covers, etc. that have improved mpg? I have installed soft bed covers on my trucks, but they seemed to reduce mpg slightly. They have made the trucks more useful, so I have kept them on.

Yes, I have searched the internet on this topic, and all I can tell you is that other people hate F150s and we as their owners are obvious morons. I hope that is not the case here.

More Power, applied correctly, less drag, more MPG.
You won't find any F150 "haters" here, but you MIGHT find some that prefer the bigger cousins.

I'm a little surprised that a bed cover (tonneau style) would reduce your fuel efficiency. I would expect efficiency to improve or at least remain constant. But you might be getting a slight increase in skin friction drag over the bed with a soft cover, compared to a "hard" tonneau).

I'd think a "smooth" wheel cover would reduce some drag in that area, but I have no data to back that up. I doubt the difference would be significant though.

I don't think an air dam will help at all. I see it as increasing the frontal area of the truck, which is already a major factor in creating drag.

I think if you lower the truck, it might help some with fuel efficiency, but you'd reduce the truck's utility.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer