View Single Post
Old Sun, April 29th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Whopper Junior

hpdiniz is on a distinguished road
Default Should I get a 91 tow tune?

Greetings…

I have a 2004 f150 with 5.4, 3 valve engine, tow package, 3.73 gears, stock except for the “Gotts” mode. I may install some type of high flow air filter in the stock air-box at some point, but that would be about it. I have a Gryphon with the canned tunes and run it exclusively on level 2 (tow) I have been very happy with it but as with most of you, I’m ready to upgrade to custom tunes from PHP. I tow a 2006 sportsmaster 21 foot TT with dry weight of 3800 lbs. Wet I figure just under 5000 lbs (will be weighing it soon) I have a weight distribution hitch with sway control as well.

This August we will be making a trip from the San Francisco bay area to Reno Nevada pulling the TT. As some of you may know, to get to Reno, I will have to go up I80, over the Donner Pass. Donner Pass is about 7200 feet elevation. Since I have never ventured far from flat land, I’m a little freaked out about this trip, but the wife will not let me back out…

So I need some advice from the experts. I plan to get the 87 custom tow tune but was wondering if a 91 custom tow would be beneficial for that mountain pass I’m so worried about?? I don’t mind paying for the tune and the premium fuel. I also don’t mind hanging with the big rigs going up the pass but don’t want to be holding up traffic either.

I called PHP a few times but didn’t get though. I know they’re very busy so I figured I’d post on the forum. Maybe even Bill might chime in??

Also, what information should I add to the order form to make Sure Bill has all the information to provide the best tune possible for my application?

Thanks in advance…