View Single Post
Old Fri, August 17th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I'll give it a try,

When you have a stock vehicle, custom tunes are not a necessity.

Vehicles do not roll out of the factory at 100% of their potential. Manufacturers realized a long time ago that if they scaled down the peak potential, less parts broke, less warranty claims, less lost money. Canned tunes give you what power was left out on stock vehicles. Once you make a modification that the canned tunes were not written to handle, THEN you need custom tuning. For diesels this includes things like larger injectors, turbos, etc. Parameters that the computer has no knowledge of being modified. I'll use larger injectors as an example. The custom tuning is needed because the computer does not know that even though the injector fired for the appropriate amount of time, an excess of fuel is leaving the exhaust. The computer thinks it is doing everything correctly when in reality it is spraying way too much fuel. Custom tuning corrects the miscalculation.

If you have kids you've seen this first hand. Whenever a child has a major growth spurt they are suddenly clumsy because they don't realize it takes more muscle control to remain agile. They eventually build muscle and learn better control. Your truck's computer is not able to grow and learn so it must be retaught, otherwise it remains dangerously clumsy.

At the moment, PHP does not have any canned tunes for the CS and CTS so they are using the Edge tunes. The advantage of buying from PHP is that if you do make a modification that requires custom tuning,

If Bill chimes in, I know that he'll be siding with Cody because I've seen him do it for a few years now. Him and Corey would rather tell someone to save their money than screw them out of it. Just one more reason they are so highly respected. Cody was trying to save you money, time and disappointment but instead you took offense to his advice and jumped to incorrect conclusions.