View Single Post
Old Mon, March 1st, 2010, 10:35 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot270 View Post
UPDATE:
Just talked to my mom who has also had it happen when she was hauling hay and when the engine shuts off so does ALL electrical (including the A/C and stuff) then the battery light starts blinking. I just didn't notice because it was during the day and we had the radio off.

The reason he doesn't want to take it to a shop is because of bad experiences. He drove a 6.0L PSD for the utility company and it lasted a while until something simple went out. Soon that truck was spending more time in the shop than on the street...including injectors needing to be replaced every 4-6 weeks.

We also have a family friend who took her truck in to get the cruise control recall fixed and they came up to her with over a dozen deep engine parts from HER truck in a 5 gallon bucket saying she needed to replace them. And the best part is that she didn't authorize any of that.

Yeah we dont like the shops and dealerships around here. Tomorrow he will be getting a repair manual and a code scanner and do it himself. He just wanted me to ask to make sure and I knew that at least somebody on here would know whats going on.
As everyone knows, I'm no authority on diesels, but if you have "complete electrical failure", it's going to shut down the PCM which in turn will stop all fuel delivery to the engine.

I recall reading something somewhere, maybe in my owner's manual that there is a fuel pump shutoff that is supposed to activate in case of a collision to stop flow of fuel that might cause a fire. I wonder if if simply kills the ignition circuit (which would shut off the radio and A/C)? There's some procedure to reset it if it happens accidentally, but I don't recall what it is. I would imagine diesels have a similar safety feature and maybe this is causing your problems?

It might be worthwhile to investigate this possibility.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer