View Single Post
Old Tue, September 13th, 2011, 11:30 PM
ArtieWag

Question

Thank You. Yep, I have learned that a good quality gas keeps up my MPG. I only run premium on long, over the road, all day trips. Seems like that is the best bang for the buck. The trucks I have are Flex Fuel vehicles, but the price of ethanol is the same, or only 10% less, than a good quality gas. For alcohol to be 'worth the burn' it would need to be 30% less in cost. Just does not happen. Maybe a tune from PHP will help with that cost equation?

I know we drive bricks, but I don't have to be a stupid brick do I? When I look at other vehicles that need economy, I notice wheel skirts or fender skirts, only on the rear. Have not found any for the 2005 and 2006 model years. Also, a big plate for a wheel cover may help. I sure do not want to keep the disk brakes from cooling off, though. I always assume that the Ford engineers know what they are doing; I just can't always figure it out. After closer looks at the front of the trucks, I see that there is already a small 'air dam' in the front, would more help? I probably will not put one on that will scrape concrete parking space dividers, or one that is lower than the underneath components of the truck. I am with you on the fiberglass belly, but mine would just fill up with rocks and dirt from the dirt roads that I have to travel. It would almost have to be metal, something that would bend and not shatter or snap. Might make my exhaust a little warm. But like Jack said, it may just not be worth it.

I do have 18 inch wheels on these trucks, and I like the fact that they ride higher, and the 'command' seating. But I have to climb into and out of that bed.

As far as weight in the truck, somehow my wife always gets better mileage that I do. And it depends on who looks at the scale, but I out weigh her somewhere between 50 to 100 lbs. That little bit does seem to make a difference. All my MPG figures are generally over thousands of miles, and not the 'instantaneous' kind.

An update on my Gotts Mod CAI. - Perhaps it takes longer that I think for the computer to 'learn' the new settings, something called a 'drive cycle'? And my mpg is still a little lower than before - but the truck will PASS! whew! And cruising at 80 MPH I still get 16.5 MPG avg.

An update on my Troyer underdrive pulleys. - In the 100 degree plus weather the AC runs a little warmer at idle. And a hard, really fast, 90 degree turn at low speeds, say like in a parking lot, is pretty stiff in the steering wheel - not unexpected for me, but others should know. None of that will happen at any speed higher than idle.

How about a radical idea? Change the rear pinion gear ratio? I have the 3.73 now. Of course, I have the 4x4 models, so it would double my cost, but why not a 3.15 or 3.08. I know this gets tricky, and I do not want to lug down the truck to decrease my MPG, but has anyone done this? I see plenty of people going to lower gears, like the 4.10, but higher? (Be kind, this is just one of many considerations for MPG improvements)

And I am not going to give up the utility of my 4x4 pickup. I am just not a weekend mudder or an urban low rider. I want to go over any road (or almost road - like say, will I fit through it?), at any time, in any weather. Even wet pastures. And come back over the same route. I have even used my truck to pull out my stuck 4 wheel drive tractor. I like my utility vehicle.