View Single Post
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 06:28 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'm VERY glad you asked that question!

PLEASE, disconnect your Gryphon before you disconnect the battery! Leave the Gryphon disconnected as the new battery is being installed. Voltage transients that occur when a battery is reconnected (or when a vehicle is jump-started) can fry the electronics in a pre-04 Gryphon's OBDII cord and, they don't do the post 04 Gryphon's internal electronics any good either. Finally, when everything is hooked up, turn the ignition to ON without starting the engine, and then reconnect your Gryphon to the OBDII port.

I wouldn't have the Gryphon connected during any load test on the battery either.

In other words, anything that can put big fluctuations on the DC voltage in the vehicle can harm electronics like the Gryphon, probably sound equipment, and maybe some other things.

This information needs to be included in the FAQs on PHP's website and we need to make it pretty obvious here too. I'll see what I can do to make that happen.

A load test essentially measures the battery's voltage with a high load (like starting an engine) applied. It really needs to be applied to a battery that has "rested" for a while after any recent charge, so that the "surface charge" has had time to bleed off.

- Jack