Thread: trans tuning.
View Single Post
Old Mon, June 8th, 2009, 03:43 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_gt_350 View Post
IS there anyway you can keep the 4r100 from downshifting after it hits 3rd gear and loses rpms? Meaning that start in manual 2nd, shift into drive and not have it downshift when it starts losing rpm's.
You're asking an odd question here in my mind. Why are you starting in 2nd? Is it because you are on a slippery surface and you want to limit the torque to the wheels? Then, after you're rolling, you put it into drive so that it will shift into 3rd, right? (I assume you have the O/D off so it stays out of 4th). But now you don't want it to go back down to 2nd unless it REALLY has to, is that what you're asking?

So anyway, ignoring the part about starting in 2nd, which keeps you in 2nd till the cows come home, regardless of load or speed, you are wanting the same behavior in 3rd gear I think.

As far as I know, the answer is NO. Once in Drive, you have a fully automatic transmission that's going to shift according to throttle position and speed. I felt I was able to delay the onset of shifting a bit by reducing the part throttle downshifts for all gears by the max amount and by doing the same to the TC unlock points. But, the change was really pretty minor. If I'm reading you right, you think the downshift is happening too quickly, when there's still plenty of pulling power left.

Bill may be able to adjust things to make the downshift/unlock behavior less aggressive, but I don't know if that's true or not.

And now that I've noticed where you've posted this, are you asking is it possible to adjust things in Minotaur to "lock" it in 3rd? If that is the question, I would suspect there is a way to de-sensitize this.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer