View Single Post
Old Sat, April 21st, 2012, 09:14 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualSeanX View Post
Thanks will do. It'll be my first time doing the filter. Is it a pain? Looked at some videos didn't seem to be too bad aside from taking off the fuel line pressure by turning off some switch in the fuse box. I'm trying to teach myself mechanic stuff so I no longer have to depend on people I don't trust. What do you think about spark plugs? Another thing I think may have been neglected. Not sure if I've said but my trucks got 75k miles. Could spark plugs cause power issues? Also I've heard of horror stories of removing spark plugs and snapping stuff...I've been less than excited to do those but think its probably pretty due.

I never did much aside from change my oil until recently did my own front brakes was proud of myself. Haha. I'm 25 never worked on cars. Feels like something a real man should do. So here I am trying to be a "real man".
Here are some tips for the fuel filter...

1. Pick where you're gonna do it and park the truck. Let it sit with the key out of the ignition for at least an hour. It'll give the fuel a chance to lose pressure. When you are picking a place to do it, go where you won't mind a bit of fuel being sprayed. It WILL be at least a partially pressurized system when you break the seal on it.

2. Wear safety glasses. Not sure if this is an issue for you but my dad is really bad about it. I was holding a pair out to him because he kept refusing. Then when he got the fuel disconnected it sprayed right in his face. He hates it when I say "I told ya so"

3. It's easy if you do your reading ahead of time.

If the filter has never been changed I'm surprised that the truck is still running.