View Single Post
Old Fri, March 16th, 2012, 09:06 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
When Cody gets sarcastic there is a good chance he is right but unable to prove it, which only requires you doing a pressure test.

Dude, you're pretty intuitive about my personality even though we've never met.

Being a Chevy tech up until early 2010, I was only familiar with the variable cam timing of a couple 3.1L engines and the ever-popular Trailblazer (affectionately called a "Failblazer" by those of us in the 'biz) systems that were hit-and-miss.

I realize that Ford systems work in a similar fashion, but I haven't had the pleasure of being around (and especially not working on) any of Ford's newer vehicles. Variable cam timing has it's place, and Ford made sure to design their engines' flow characteristics around all of the variables now present with a camshaft that can alter it's timing relationship to piston position. By fixing the cam timing (and I know that Trailblazers use the variable exhaust cam timing to negate the need for EGR), emissions will increase in certain parts of the operating range and it is very possible that a loss in performance will be experienced in certain load/RPM ranges.

Does anyone remember a story a while back about the changes made to the cam timing that Bill was doing for noisy (drone) intake systems and how it really affected the output of the engine?

To the OP:

Yes, it's entirely possible to control variable cam timing through the tuning we do through the Evolution/Gryphon platforms. I'm not versed in it though so the only thing I offer you do is hope that Bill responds to this thread or email him directly for a straight answer on what he's willing to do remotely.