View Single Post
Old Sun, September 26th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Whopper

PitCritter is on a distinguished road
Default Absolute Newbie with Questions

Hi. I am brand new here and I have lots of questions. I have used the "Search", but I must not be asking for the right info. I'll ask here. I'm not looking to be spoonfed, but I am interested in getting correct, complete info.

1. What is a "Gryphon Programmer"?

As far as I can tell, it's not really a distinct piece of hardware. My best guess is that when someone here (or on another forum) talks about a Gryphon, they actually mean an Edge programmer of some sort with programming provided by GoPowerHungry. For my 2010 F-150, I'd be buying a CS, which Edge calls an Evolution CS. Am I close?

2. What are the advantages of a Gryphon?

My alternative, after much reading elsewhere, is an SCT X3. As far as I can tell, these two units use a different philosophy. Not so much in the adjustments they make to the vehicle, but in the actual programming methodology.

With the X3, you turn off the vehicle, plug in the programmer, apply programming and then disconnect.

With the Gryphon, the programmer is plugged in permanently and changes can be made on the fly. It also acts as a datalogger and can display key vehicle parameters real-time. Since I'll be towing quite a bit, I assume that I can change between "Performance" and "Towing" whenever it's appropriate.

Once again...am I close?

3. Assuming my above guesses are right, when I unplug the Gryphon, do I retain the "Tune" I've applied to the vehicle or do I need to be connected all the time?

For pretty much the same money, if my guesses here are correct, it looks like the Gryphon is the obvious choice. Why are so many people on the SCT bandwagon? Is it because it took so long to get the Gryphon to market for the new F150s?

I'll look forward to any and all answers here almost as much as I'm looking forward to the delivery of my new truck.

Thanks, Pit.