View Single Post
Old Mon, September 27th, 2010, 10:02 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Ah, it's actually 18 Volts to "command" the PCM to accept a new tune I think. The programmer has a "transformer" (sort of) that raises battery voltage to this level to accomplish the task. Everything else that was said about a healthy battery is dead on. The only place I change my tune is in my garage, with the headlights off, A/C off, radio off and battery tender plugged in. On an 09+ truck, the electric fans should not be on unless the engine is hot, so you probably don't have to pull the fuse.

But, something that was not mentioned is that the SCT seems to take a super long time to program the PCM! I've heard 40-45 minutes on another forum! That's a long time to be sitting with the ignition ON and the engine off. The CTS programs my 2005 truck in less than a minute. I have not heard if the programming time is longer for 09+ trucks with the CS/CTS. With a 40 minute programming time, I would definitely have a battery tender or 2 Amp battery charger connected!

Since I tow, I really appreciate the digital readouts of Transmission Fluid Temp and Cylinder Head Temp. Also, since our trailer has two batteries and a refrigerator, I want to be able to see the alternator charging voltage. The "idiot" gauges on the dash are pretty much on/off devices that really don't tell you anything useful.

One more thing - it is dead simple to disconnect and remove a CS/CTS for safekeeping if you are going to leave your truck parked in a high crime area. And, as was said, it does not have to be connected at all once the tune is loaded. The tune stays in place until it is changed by a programmer! Even removing the battery does not effect it.

Hope all this makes sense!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer