View Single Post
Old Thu, December 17th, 2020, 11:47 AM
Whopper Junior

wolverine724 is on a distinguished road
Default How far we've come with tuning.

I have a degree in elecrical engineering from Carnegie Mellon University. I'm a current Ford Motor Company employee, having worked there for 29 years, most of it in Ford Powertrain Controls. I started off as an engineer in automatic transmission OBD2 calibration working for a few years under Mark Kovalsky. After that I switched to automatic transmission software writing software, mostly in the shift and converter clutch scheduling areas. I eventually got promoted to a management position as the technical expert for automatic transmission ratio controls. My final project in this position was helping develop the initial 10 speed shift scheduling software for Ford's current 10 speed autos. After that, I took the role of Model Based Design technical expert for all of powertrain controls, helping drive the process of designing control algorithms in Matlab/Simulink/Stateflow and then auto-coding them into C-code. After this, I took a short position as an engine controls engine/transmission interface technical expert. A year and a half ago when Ford did a major re-structuring, I took a position outside of Powertrain as a supervisor in a Driver Assistance Technology (DAT) feature group, working on semi-autonomous driver assistance features, where I still work today. I bought a Hydra chip not long ago and I will try to help contribute to the forum where I can, while trying to be careful to not share any privileged or confidential information.

I have experience in calibration and software on EEC-iV, EEC-V, Power-PC, Tri-Core, etc using various calibration tools like the RCON, ATI, ETAS, etc.

My reason for buying a PHP Hydra chip is that I have a 2002 Ford F-350 7.3L/4R100 with 260k that has remained bone stock for about the last 15 years, but in the past few months I've decided to do a bunch of mods to it. So far that includes:
180/30 FF stage 1.5 injectors
KC300x 63/73 turbo
Bellowed up pipes
EBPV Pedestal delete
My own custom built regulated return fuel system
Riff-Raff intercooler boots and plenum inserts
Full 4" exhaust and downpipe
6673 intake
Hydra chip with PHP tunes modified for single shot injectors

I just pulled out the transmission and I'm having a co-worker with a lot of transmission building experience help me rebuild and beef it up.
Ordered a DPC F4HLDLS - low stall triple plate converter.
I'll list my trans mods when we finish the trans.

I'm likely wanting to do my own transmission recalibration, so I'll have to decide what route I want to do in modifying the binary files.

Regards,
Phil Wiethe