View Single Post
Old Wed, September 22nd, 2010, 01:49 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Flub, I don't know the year of your truck, but the picture you posted looks like it is the PCM. There should be three wire harness connectors along it's top edge and it looks like a flat metal box sitting up high on the firewall on the passenger side of the engine bay. (This is if you have an 04-08 truck, that is. If it's an earlier model, you will no longer be able to have the Edge upgraded to a Gryphon due to cable issues and, if it's an 09+, the programmer will not work.)

But, locating the PCM will not tell you the hex code. About the only thing you could get would be the "box" code, which is not what Bill needs.

So, unless you can find out the hex (or calibration code) some other way, You'll just have to send it in for the conversion and unlocking without the code. Bill will convert it to a Gryphon with Gryphon canned tunes, unlock it and return it to you in that state. You can begin using it immediately with the canned tunes and I'd suggest you try the Level 2 tow tune, since it is a very good all-around tune (it's what I used until I got custom tunes). The fact that you are using 89 octane gas is of no consequence, but since you are, you might be able to advance the timing +1 degree for slightly better performance.

Once you receive the unit back and plug it into your truck, you'll be able to read and submit your hex code - there's a special link on PHP's website for that purpose.

Then, when Bill writes your custom tune, you'll be able to load it into your Gryphon using a PC app called Pegasus that you can download from PHP's website.

I think some code readers CAN display the hex code, but unless you have access to one of those, just do it my way.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer