View Single Post
Old Sun, September 26th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitCritter View Post
Hi. I am brand new here and I have lots of questions. I have used the "Search", but I must not be asking for the right info. I'll ask here. I'm not looking to be spoonfed, but I am interested in getting correct, complete info.

1. What is a "Gryphon Programmer"?

As far as I can tell, it's not really a distinct piece of hardware. My best guess is that when someone here (or on another forum) talks about a Gryphon, they actually mean an Edge programmer of some sort with programming provided by GoPowerHungry. For my 2010 F-150, I'd be buying a CS, which Edge calls an Evolution CS. Am I close?
Yes, it is basically an Edge CS but with slightly improved "canned" tunes and the ability to download custom tunes. I dont think the CS/CTS line have other improved features like the older gryphons due to complications with Edge.

2. What are the advantages of a Gryphon?

My alternative, after much reading elsewhere, is an SCT X3. As far as I can tell, these two units use a different philosophy. Not so much in the adjustments they make to the vehicle, but in the actual programming methodology.

With the X3, you turn off the vehicle, plug in the programmer, apply programming and then disconnect.

With the Gryphon, the programmer is plugged in permanently and changes can be made on the fly. It also acts as a datalogger and can display key vehicle parameters real-time. Since I'll be towing quite a bit, I assume that I can change between "Performance" and "Towing" whenever it's appropriate.

Once again...am I close?

Not dead on for this one. They gryphon programmers do not have to plugged in all the time. They also cannot make adjustments on the fly (you might be thinking of the phoenix chip after these two points). It can display parameters real time but I dont think the CS or CTS are capable of datalogging yet.

3. Assuming my above guesses are right, when I unplug the Gryphon, do I retain the "Tune" I've applied to the vehicle or do I need to be connected all the time?

Yes, after you program the truck's computer it stays until you either return the truck to stock or to another tune...or in worst case scenario, a dealership reflashed your truck's computer making the programmer about as usefull as a paperweight.

For pretty much the same money, if my guesses here are correct, it looks like the Gryphon is the obvious choice. Why are so many people on the SCT bandwagon? Is it because it took so long to get the Gryphon to market for the new F150s?

Both programmers are good devices but yes, there are more people with the SCT programmers because SCT was quicker with the 2009 series. The Gryphons took so long to roll around because Edge was having trouble and didn't release the CS/CTSs for the newer trucks.

I'll look forward to any and all answers here almost as much as I'm looking forward to the delivery of my new truck.

Thanks, Pit.
My input in blue.

...and dont worry about the search, doesn't work for me either lots of times.