View Single Post
Old Wed, February 2nd, 2011, 01:41 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
I was unaware that he had a flex fuel truck.
Ah - I see. As far as I know, all 08+ trucks are flex-fuel and he seems to have a 2010, looking at the screen name. (Of course I'm performing a WAG here, aren't I?)

On a slightly related topic though, I wonder how they create a 102 octane mixture using E85? As shotgun implies, I don't think the real (R+M)/2 octane rating is that high, just from adding corn alcohol. (And shotgun, you're right about adding 0.5 degrees of timing for every octane number. But, he said the octane was 102, so the timing advance would be (102-93)/2 = 4.5.)

To the OP - are you in Canada? Your name tells me you possibly are, and if that's the case, you may be seeing an octane rating that is "Research", not the "Research + Motor" average. The pump should tell you this. If it's "Research", the (R+M)/2 rating will be quite a bit lower and I'd be a little careful adding timing. I'd guess maybe the (R+M)/2 rating might be around 95?

- Jack