Thread: The old IDI's
View Single Post
Old Thu, February 5th, 2009, 07:22 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-127 View Post

I've also heard stock vs. stock that a 7.3 IDI turbo will outwork the 7.3 Powerstroke by people who have driven both. The IDI is easier and cheaper to get a 'little' more out of it with the mechanical pump, but if your going for anything more than adjusting the spring limiting screw will do, the Powerstroke would be the way to go.
I don't know if you're talking about the late 93 7.3L turbo (factory), but those are turds....and purposefully made so. Ford KNEW they had something up their sleeves (Powerstroke), so they had the 7.3L IDI turbo severely detuned as not to "outshine" their upcoming flagship truck.

The turbocharger on the early IDI turbo was very undersized for the engine. I think it would be a great charger for a 255 gasser (remember those atrocities? Think mid-eighties) so the "turbo" was actually more of a gimmick to get people to buy one....and at least stay up to date with the Dodges and their 4-year old Cummins. I won't even acknowledge the 6.5L GM boat anchor.

The turbo on the 7.3L was limited to 3-4 PSI of boost from the factory. But with the higher compression ratio, low end off-idle torque was significantly better than the upcoming PSD. However, being that Ford had life expectancy expectations of the "new" IDI turbo, gains were to be had by modification. However, the turbine housing was a huge restriction to exhaust flow and the compressor was grossly undersized. Usually heat was the only real winner when modifying one......as was blown turbochargers due to overspeeding and drive pressure issues.

I'll disagree on the "The IDI is easier and cheaper to get a 'little' more out of it with the mechanical pump" comment only because it takes little more than a ten cent resistor and 15 minutes to bring a PSD to life.