Thread: help IDM issues
View Single Post
Old Thu, December 31st, 2009, 01:33 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

hayjayhorses is on a distinguished road
help IDM issues

On my 2000 F550 (280,000 miles) I am having an IDM problem, I think??

the other night I was driving home with a load of hay, and the left bank cut out. The pyrometer thermocupler is in the Left manafold i limped it to a truck stop. If I shut the truck off and start it back up it would fire on both banks for about 15 seconds then the left side would cutt out.

I immediatley took the left valve cover off to see if I had any burnt up wires they were all good, valve cover gaskets connectors were good also, as I started the look at the wiring harness closer I noticed some wires were chaffed and the the Left bank wire was repaired and the connection fell apart as i mess with it. So I fixed all the wires and put it all back together and still the same thing. start up and run fine the left side cut out.

I had my brother bring me an IDM out of my '94 and I put it in the 2000 (what to get to the IDM in a superduty) and the truck ran purfect infact better then ever (I bought it in July '08) and it was louder like my '01.

any way today on my way home 600 miles later the Left bank cut out again ('94 idm still in there) I shut off the truck for a minute stated it back up and drove for 3 hours and left banck didn't cuut out, it is running quiet again and with less power then usual. when I stop then go, as I get going and put my foot into it, it sounds like more injectors start to fire, but dose not feel like it is skipping, also it is making about 29 psi a boost @ 2600 + rpms (the waste gate accuator tube is dissconected) usualy it maxes out at 26 psi.

I heard some were an open circuit(s) could cuase the IDM to burn up, Is there a circuit breaker or something like that for each bank. I see rebuilt, up graded IDMs for sale, Is there any know resources out there that i can use to rebuilt or upgrade my own IDM

I just stopped at home for a bit and I am heading down to cape cod with this hay, I would take my GMC with it's ultra reliable Cat 3116 but I need the 4x4 with all the snow I will be in. I will check back later in the day, or some one can call me (413-222-8286) I will be up morning and day (New Years Eve) if some one has some helpfull info form me.

Thanks
Jay Noone (413)222-8286