View Single Post
Old Sun, January 3rd, 2010, 12:32 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

One thing they mention that I happen to disagree with is that you should leave the vehicle running while cranking the disabled vehicle. This is generally not a good idea because if the assisting vehicle's battery is weak and unable to provide adequate current, the starting vehicle will be using the alternator of the assisting vehicle as a battery and the resulting current surge can burn out the diode block or windings in the alternator.

My preference... Allow the assisting vehicle's alternator to charge the disabled vehicle's battery for 5 minutes and then shut off the assisting vehicle. With the cables still connected, start the disabled vehicle. Avoid extended cranking as you do not want two disabled vehicles. Once the vehicle is started, disconnect the cables and restart the assisting vehicle.

It might seem like a matter of opinion, but I've personally burn up an alternator with the other method. Nothing like helping someone out and ending up in the crapper yourself.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!