View Single Post
Old Mon, December 13th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Bacon King

GTS is on a distinguished road

I actually have some input on this. I've had this exact thing happen to me and it is not your transmission shifting. When it happened to me I described it exactly as you did initially thinking the transmission was shifting but it is not. While it does seem to make sense that if it shifted it would want to lurch however to the contrary it actually doesn't matter what gear the transmission is in. If the transmision sin't spinning (you moving forward) the gear is irrelevent and all that is going on in before the stationary input shaft which means what is going on is all in the TC.

I actually destroyed a TC doing this. When I talked to Brian at BTS he said what's happening is it's sucking the oil pan dry of oil then something in the TC wants to lock up. I don't think it's the clutch locking and I didn't understand what all it was but I've had this same thing happen when I was doing a tranny service and tried to put the transmission in gear before it had a chance to get the fluid flowing completely through the transmission.

You might want to call your tranny builder for a better explanation of whats going on but it's not the transmission shifting.

When I busted the TC doing this it sounded like a tin can with a bunch of bolts in it and it also locked up solid so as soon as I put it in gear the truck was rolling and if you hit the brakes to stop it it would kill the engine.

I suggest not spooling up so quick. Watch the other driver and as soon as he lights up the 2nd set of staging light start spooling. when I did this I would roll into the first set of lights, start spooling it then roll into the 2nd set of lights. This was just to much spool up time and caused the issue.