View Single Post
Old Wed, May 9th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Whopper

RedRocks is on a distinguished road
Help Yep! Another 87 Tow Tune Question!

2007 F-150 SCREW. Only things not stock is Gott's mod & LT265/70R17 (up from P255/70R17). Everything else is completely stock. I live at 7,000' elevation.

When I bought the truck new, my salesman suggested I run 85 octane which is contrary to the owner's manual. He said they seem to run a little better at higher elevation than the recommended 87. So I ran 85 for about a year. I tried a few tanks of 87 for about a month, and it started coughing & sputtering when pulling grades or fast acceleration. It just ran like crap! I even changed brands, but that didn't help. I switched back to 85 & it's been running great ever since.

We just purchased a 19' bumper pull toy hauler which weighs in around 8,500# loaded. Truck running 85 octane handles it pretty good, except for some steep hills at 8,000' ~ 9,000' elevation. No sputtering, but r-e-a-l s-l-o-w! with lots of downshifting.

That's my history. Now, I'm thinking a Gryphon with custom tow tune might just help get a little more power to pull the TH. I'm not against running a 87 tow tune & using 87 octane fuel, but given the history, is 87 going to be the best way to go? Or will the bad experience I had running 87 repeat itself? OR (this is what I'm hoping) will the Gryphon with the 87 tow tune improve the performance of the truck so that 87 won't be a problem like it was in the past?

I have a few other questions, but let's start here first. Your help is greatly appreciated!

~Frank