View Single Post
Old Sat, December 19th, 2020, 03:04 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine724 View Post
Speaking of P/T calibration mods, I can't officially endorse anyone breaking EPA or state laws in modifying any of their powertrain controls for on-road use. Everyone here is doing this for race-track and off-roading only, right!?!?

There's a bit more leeway on the old 7.3...it didn't really have any emissions control devices, and it certified emissions on an engine dyno - just ran at various speed/load points.
I can't speak for other companies, but we only work with 7.3L, 6.0L, and the F-150s up to 2011. All the tuning I've done has, at some point, been CARB certified, but this was when the tunes were written for other companies (Superchips and Edge, to be specific). We are working on our CARB certification, but being that we haven't really changed much except for the trans tuning, I don't see emissions being a problem. We specifically don't do the later platforms because it's not worth the legal hassles and I get sick and tired of people complaining as to why we won't do delete tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine724 View Post
Also, I'll just go with the premise that people here modding their vehicles are doing it outside of warranty or not bringing them in for warranty claims when the blow something up.
Again, since 7.3L and 6.0L have been out of production/warranty since 2003 and 2007 respectively, those concerns are no longer an issue. I'm fully aware of the efforts Ford was making in regards to tracking modifications in regards to warranty concerns, and even though it wasn't implemented it still didn't stop dealerships from arbitrarily denying warranty claims for other reasons or suspicions. However, like you had said... Ford generally didn't want a fight or any bad publicity so if claims were denied at the dealer level, if the customer was insistent and pushed it up to corporate, they usually got taken care of.

It's ridiculous the things I've seen for which warranties were being refused. Gauges, exhausts, tires, lift kits and even stupid things like brush guards because they implied off-roading and stressing the vehicle. Even worse is when you have dealerships that PRE-INSTALL these things on vehicles, and then a warranty gets denied from another dealership. It was crazy.

Anyway, I think I'm going to generate a sort of historical timeline with some REALLY cool examples of just how far this industry has progressed. I may have some time tonight to start posting some things up, starting with pics of the Racelogic and MAP6 tuning software we used to use. I also still have my original "Tuning Guide" that I assembled when working at Superchips. You're going to laugh when you see this thing.

I hope y'all have a good afternoon.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!