Thread: Aaannnddd POP!
View Single Post
Old Sun, May 29th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo View Post
That ain't normal. Must be a high performance setup for extra gripping power so you don't blow head gaskets Did you put a straight edge on it and the block?
Yeah I was hoping I found the dark secret in 7.3 performance to keep headgaskets from blowing, unfortunately not.
Block and heads checked out true with straight edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcguru View Post
Agreed. I spent two years working in a machine shop and we would never send something out the door looking like that.
Yeah I had a hard time believing it was normal. I have seen many head surfaces, and my dad many times of what I have, and it was a first... over on PSN someone called it corduroy... lol.

Here's the plans, heads were resurfaced(needed about .005" to clean up heads completely, valve recession still good), New H11s, stock head gaskets, Smith Brothers pushrods, shimmed Comp 910s. Honed cylinders and re-ring with rod bearings. Modded H2E will be going on with Bean's brass up-pipes(pretty sure they've been leaking some since I got the truck, spoolup should be near instant compared to the sledgehamer. Even though piston protrusion checked out, I changed out the connecting rods after reading this post over on PSN about a person who had a nearly identical situation I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx800x
So if piston protrusion is ok run it or dont even chance it?? Are you saying arps arent very good???
*I* wouldn't chance it...ever.

cause *I* have personally pitched a rod that checked out dead nuts tits, was shot peened, checked for bend/twist & magnafluxed ...came out of a cyl that had popped a HG...went back in the same cyl...then came through the block in 3 months...and have seen the same over and over w/ customers who pop a gasket...THEN do studs, LOL...

then pitch a rod.

and arp's aren't on my short list for head studs...
One somewhat of a budget and but doing a decent amount of work I'd be kicking myself immensely if a rod ever threw. Feeling a lot better after changing them out. Should be up and running by Wednesday night I'm figuring.

Last edited by F-127; Sun, May 29th, 2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Added inside quote to make golfer's statement make sense