View Single Post
Old Fri, January 1st, 2010, 06:09 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisunderwood View Post
Thanks!

If you can run the same programming on the gryphon and the chip with the same performance gains, what are the impacts of the negative base codes?

Mostly shifting issues. There are some strategies that tend to have better shifting characteristics.

It appears that in my scenario the gryphon would be a good option as long as I don't want to switch on the fly. Which I am willing to accept.

No problem.

If I purchase the gryphon with custom tunes, can I switch to other tunes without additional cost nor sending the gryphon in as long as they are not custom?

Correct, to an Extent. You can choose from any of the basic calibrations and change your configuration 2 times without charge. After that, it is $30.00 to change the configuration to cover the time it takes to compile the fileset and load it on the server.

How to choose between 65 and 80 daily tunes and which towing?
  • 25hp Extremely Heavy: Tow 12,500+ pounds
  • 40hp Heavy Tow: 10,000 - 12,500 pounds
  • 65hp Moderate Tow: 7,500 - 10,000 pounds
  • 80hp Light Tow: Up to 7,500 pounds
  • 65hp Daily Driver - Good economy and performance for city and highway driving
  • 80hp Daily Driver - Little bit more aggressive than the 65 Daily Driver.
There is all this talk about Tony Wildman on the powerstroke forums. Of course this is the PHP forum. Bill - would you say your tunes are on par and just as trusted as the TW tunes?

First, let me say that this may be a "PHP" run forum, but we have no problem answering questions pertaining to other vendors or their products. We have a good relationship with many of the vendors and tuners out there and we would help a Bully Dog or SCT customer just as quickly as we would our own customers. This forum is all about helping the performance community, not about finding ways to stuff dollars in our pocket or making other products look bad.

I don't have any question that our tuning is just as good as Tony's, and I know Tony would say the same thing. Tony is a great tuner (and a great guy ) and you would be just as happy running his setup as you would be running ours.

I will add (and this is in no way meant as disrespect towards Tony or any other tuner) that we've been tuning the 7.3L for over a dozen years and most of the tuners out there have learned their tuning from me, either directly (through training and/or assistance) or indirectly (through the copying of calibrations I've developed as far back as when I worked for Superchips). Most tuners have gone on to develop their own tuning styles and this is why sometimes one tuner is able to better fit the needs of a customer than another tuner. It doesn't make any particular tuner better than another, just a more compatible fit.

I just need to decided between the Phoenix or the Gryphon and I am still no clear what is best for me. Seems both will do the trick and the Gryphon has the gauges and other features for simplicity.

If switch on the fly is not a primary concern, the Gryphon offers more flexibility and features at an extremely reasonable price. The Phoenix offers more positions, but you'll need additional equipment if you want gauges and/or diagnostics capabilities and this will run the total costs up considerably.

Thanks again
I hope the above answers help. It's often a hard choice to make between the Gryphon and the Phoenix, but ultimately boils down to budget and features. The tuning will be the same so that shouldn't be a consideration.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!