Thread: Your First Car?
View Single Post
Old Thu, January 29th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light
Default Your First Car?

Okay, let's here it! Tell us about your first car?

Now, I distinctly remember the conversations among my mom, dad, and me -- the outcome being that my first car would be one that I could trash... because I would. That was just a fact as far as they were concerned.

I got my license at 17 in 1986, but I didn't get my first car until I started college in 1987 (in the meantime, I DID drive my sister's car into a parked Cadillac, but that's another story). It was a two-door 1979 Chevy Malibu Classic, and it was the lovely 70s avocado green -- inside and out -- with what-used-to-be-a-white roof. Since green was my favorite color at the time, it was perfect! It didn't have power ANYTHING, it didn't even have A/C, but it DID have a rockin' auto-reverse cassette player. Oh yeah...

I fondly remember driving all OVER Long Island with the windows down and my big ol' 80s hair getting even bigger with the wind whipping in through the driver's window and out the passenger window, belting out songs from Squeeze's Singles 45s & Under was the BOMB! I was also into New Wave, so I would imagine one might've heard some Depeche Mode, Smiths, or OMD playing as well. Something to keep in mind is that while I'm fond of singing, I'm very aware that I fit into the LOUD -- as opposed to GOOD -- category.

The one small problem the car had was that it leaked oil. No problem, I guess, had I really understood the true importance of oil to a car's engine. While I was living at home, I'm assuming that my dad took care of topping the oil off every so often. When I moved out, I didn't. Ever hear the sound an engine makes when it's dry as a bone?

It was my baby until mid 1991 when I killed it. (That's okay... it already had an 18" long gash in the passenger door from when I tried to pull into a left turn lane around a delivery truck in 1989 or 1990. Guess I cut it a little close. Man, that truck's bumper sure did win the battle vs. my car door! That's back when cars were actually made of steel instead of plastic. )

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019